drops and withdrawals policy

PM 94-06

It is the responsibility of the student to make certain their drop has been officially recorded. Continued absence from the class may result in a grade of "WU". Students should not assume that a faculty member has dropped them from the class. Refer to PM 94-06, “Attendance at First Class Meetings.”

A faculty member may, but is not required, by following the appropriate procedures, initiate a formal drop of students who:

  • have missed the first two class meetings (or the first meeting if the class meets only once a week), and
  • have not advised the faculty member (or the department chair, if no faculty member was assigned to the course in advance) that their absence is temporary.

Students who have been dropped by the instructor from a class must obtain a Permission Number from the instructor to re-register for the class and follow all normal procedures for registering during late registration.

Official Withdrawal from the University (Withdrawal from all courses)

Official withdrawal is necessary if a student leaves the University at any time after registration and does not intend to complete the semester. The form for initiating this process - Change of Program (Add/Drop) form and possibly the Petition for Exception - may be obtained on the Registrar’s Office web site.

When official withdrawal from the University occurs before the semester deadline for dropping classes (Last day of Change of Program (Add/Drop) period), there is no record of enrollment. However, if official withdrawal occurs after the drop without record of enrollment deadline, grades will be assigned in accordance with the policy above on “Official Withdrawal from a Course.” Students withdrawing from all courses should determine if a leave of absence or graduation in absentia is appropriate. Depending on the circumstances, the withdrawal typically will result in a “W” grade, and will count against the Undergraduate 18 unit limit. Withdrawals in excess of 18 units will be considered only through the petition process. 

A student who withdraws with “W” grades shall be classified as a continuing student for the next semester.