Program Entry

As a University Intern, you will be able to teach for two years until you receive your Preliminary Credential.  You will need to obtain the California State Intern Credential in order to enter the Intern Program.  Following is a list of requirements for becoming a University Intern:

  • Must have a full-time teaching contract in a public school general education classroom in grades K-12.       
  • For the majority of College of Education Programs, you will need to complete the University Application at no later than May 31, 2017.  
  • If you fill out the CSUMentor application online by May 31, 2017 please submit the program application online at Apply Now by July 15, 2017
  • From June 1, 2017 through July 15, 2017, Teacher Education and Special Education applicants must:
    1. Print and fill out a hard copy University Application and submit it along with your official transcripts (unopened) and the $ 55.00 university application fee (check or money order made payable to CSUDH) to the Student Services Center in Bldg14 (COE 1412) in the College of Education.
    2. Submit a program application online at Apply Now.  If you are interested in applying for Fall 2017 and you run into complications while filling out the application please contact Jeanette Perez and/or Program Admissions at (310) 243-3530 or via email at
  • Apply to Teacher Education Division (Multiple Subject or Single Subject).  The program application includes a full list of requirements for all applicants.
  • Complete the three Phase I Intern Prerequisite Courses, with 2.75GPA:
    1. TED 400 Introduction to Education
    2. TED 411 Classroom Management (Multiple Subject candidates)  OR
    3. TED 414 Secondary Classroom Management and Healthy Environments (Single Subject candidates)
    4. TED 407 Language Learning
  • Ensure that you have met the Subject Matter Requirement.  (Multiple Subject – passage of Multiple Subject CSET exam; Single Subject – passage of appropriate CSET exam appropriate, or completion of an approved subject matter program)
  • Contact COE Student Services to obtain and submit the California Intern Credential application.

Note:  Once you have completed the prerequisite courses and met the Subject Matter Requirement, and you have obtained a full-time teaching contract, you may apply to the Intern Program at any time.  It is not necessary to have a teaching contract when you begin the credential program.