Change of Name/Address

Quick Links

Legal Name Change Policy

Current and former students may change their name by submitting a Change of Name/Address Request Form [PDF] to the Office of Admissions and Records. Appropriate state or court issued documentation that indicates a name change along with a valid photo identification card must include with this form. This documentation can include but is not limited to the following:

  • Marriage License
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Adoption/Birth Certificate
  • Divorce Decree (stating restored name)
  • Court Order
  • Alien Registration Card

The documentation submitted must include the students new and former name.

Preferred Name Change Policy

Except when the use of an individual’s legal (or primary) name is required by law, current students may be identified by a preferred name.  California State University, Dominguez Hills wishes to allow its community to use a preferred name in order to give members an empowering, safe, and nondiscriminatory university experience.  Every member of the campus community should feel empowered to be called by the name of their choosing.  Equally important, no one should feel pressure to change their name for the acceptance or convenience of others.

Policy: Current students can indicate a “preferred” first name, which is a name the student wishes to be commonly known as, if different from their legal name.  A student may change their preferred first and/or middle names on their student center,  The student’s preferred name will be visible in the below areas, and may be subject to change:

  • Class Rosters
  • Grade Rosters
  • Faculty Center - Class/Grade Roster
  • Advisee Student Center – all tabs within advisee student services center
  • Academic Requirements Reports

Preferred names will not be used for official university record purposes such as enrollment verification, official transcripts, employment and payroll records, and, but not limited to, financial aid.  Additionally, changing the preferred name will not change a student’s email address that appears in the student’s record. 

Any attempt to misuse preferred name policy for purposes of misrepresentation or fraud may result in a violation of the Student Conduct code and be referred to the Office of Student Life. 

Changing Addresses Online

Current students may change their address online in their account. In your account, addresses are categorized by type. Some examples of address types are home, mailing, and permanent.

To change an address perform the following steps:

  • Step 1: Log into your account and select Student Center
  • Step 2: Locate the Personal Information Section at the bottom of the Student Center
  • Step 3: Identify the address that you would like to update and click on the blue link indicating the address type (i.e., Mailing Address, Home Address) within Contact Information in your Student Center.
  • Step 4: Select the address that you would like to update and click the “edit” button. 
  • Step 5: Update the information on the proceeding page and click “OK.” 
  • Step 6: Review your changes and click “Save.”