Frequently Asked Questions

COVID-19: Spring 2021 Grading
CSUDH is extending its late withdrawal deadline to June 01, 2021. For more information on how to request a late withdrawal for spring 2021 please visit our COVID-19: Spring 2021 Grading website.


How do I contact an academic advisor?
  1. Non-admitted students should contact: Information Center, Welch Hall A-240, (310) 243-3696
  2. Admitted Freshmen contact: University Advisement Center, Welch Hall, A-220, (310) 243-3538 and their major department (if a major is declared).
  3. Admitted Transfer students with a declared major contact: major department and University Advisement Center, Welch Hall, A-220, (310) 243-3538.
  4. Admitted B.S. Nursing Students contact: Nursing Program and the University Advisement Center, Welch Hall A-220, (310) 243-3538; or email
  5. Admitted Special Majors contact: University Advisement Center, Welch Hall A-200, (310) 243-3538.
  6. EOP students contact: EOP Office, Welch Hall D-350, (310) 243-3632.
  7. Admitted Student Support Services Students contact: S.S.S. Program, EAC 300, (310) 243-2816.

Graduate Students

  1. Graduate Students (admitted into a Graduate Program) contact: Graduate Department.
  2. 2nd Baccalaureate Degree Students contact: major department for major advising; University Advisement Center, Welch Hall A-220, (310) 243-3538 (for General Education Advising).
  3. Unclassified Post-Baccalaureate Students contact: Graduate Studies Office for subject and degree advice; academic department for course and major advice, Welch Hall 440, (310) 243-3693.
  4. Teaching Credential students contact: Teacher Education Department, SOE 1401, (310) 243-3496.
  5. Certificate Program students contact: Program/major office for advice.
Is my CSU General Education Certification recognized at CSUDH?

Yes, CSUDH accepts both partial and complete CSU General Education Certifications from California community colleges and universities. The UC/CSU Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is also accepted.

Can I use both lower and upper division General Education courses from another college?

Lower and upper division General Education courses taken at accredited colleges and universities may meet requirements at CSUDH. However, at least 9 units of General Education courses must be taken in residence at this university.

Can I meet with an advisor to review and/or appeal my General Education requirements?

Yes. Admitted students should contact the University Advisement Center, Welch Hall A-220, (310) 243-3538.

How many units can I transfer to CSUDH?

Students may transfer a maximum of 70 semester units from Community Colleges. However, students may receive credit for meeting additional lower division requirements beyond 70 units, but no additional unit credit will be applied to the minimum 120 needed for graduation. There is no limit on the number of units transferred from four year colleges and universities. Nevertheless, students must complete at least 30 units in residence at CSUDH for a baccalaureate degree.

Who must take the Entry Level Math and English Placement Tests (ELM and EPT)?

All admitted undergraduate students who are not exempt from these requirements based on SAT, ACT, Advanced Placement Tests, or college-level math and English coursework taken at another college must take the tests. The tests must be taken prior to course enrollment or registration.

Do I need a major to graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree?

Yes, all students must complete the requirements for both a specific major and General Education for a bachelor’s degree.

Do I need a minor to graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree?

Most majors do not require a minor for the bachelor’s degree. Minors are a secondary field of study that can sometimes be related to the major, but are usually from an entirely different curriculum. A typical minor requires 15 units, but can range from 12 units to 47 units.

What is the minimum number of units required for a Bachelor’s Degree?

A Bachelor of Arts degree requires a minimum 120 total semester units. Thirty of the 120 units must be taken in residence. Forty of the 120 units must be upper division (courses numbered 300 - 499). Twenty-four of the 40 upper division units must be taken in residence.

What is the minimum grade point average (GPA) needed for graduation?
  • 2.0 minimum GPA in all college units attempted.
  • 2.0 minimum GPA in all CSUDH course work.
  • 2.0 minimum GPA in Major course work (some majors require a C grade or better in each course)
  • 2.0 minimum GPA in Minor course work (some minors require a C grade or better in each course)
What are the Statutory requirements for the Bachelor’s Degree?

To graduate from a California State University, students must complete courses covering U.S. History, U.S. Constitution, and California State & Local Government. At CSUDH, these requirements can be met by taking HIS 101 and POL 101. Students who have taken a Political Science course in another state should contact the Political Science Department for information on meeting the California portion of the requirement by test.

What is the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR)?

The GWAR is an upper division, writing requirement that must be passed prior to graduation. The requirement is met by passing the Graduation Writing Exam (GWE), or taking a specified upper division, writing course: ENG 350 or IDS 397 AND 398. Equivalent courses or tests taken at other CSUs prior to admission to CSUDH can be used to meet the requirement. Inquire about credit at the Testing Center, located in Library North 5705; (310) 243-3909.

What is CSUDH’s Credit/No Credit grading policy?

No more than 24 units graded "CR/NC," whether taken at this or another institution, may be applied to the total units required for a bachelor's degree. With the exception of English Composition, Quantitative Reasoning, Logic/Critical Reasoning, and Oral Communication, other General Education requirements may be met with courses graded CR/NC. Further information regarding CR/NC can be found in the University Regulations section of the University Catalog.

What is an Incomplete (I) grade?

The symbol "I" (Incomplete Authorized) indicates that a portion of required coursework has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period due to unforeseen, but fully justified, reasons, and that there is still a possibility of earning credit. It is the responsibility of the student to bring pertinent information to the attention of the instructor and to determine from the instructor the remaining course requirements, which must be satisfied to remove the "Incomplete." A final grade is assigned when the work agreed upon has been completed and evaluated. Further information regarding CR/NC can be found in the University Regulations section of the University Catalog.

What is a “WU” grade?

The symbol "WU" shall be used when a student, who was enrolled on the census date, did not withdraw from the course and also failed to complete course requirements. It is used when, in the opinion of the instructor, completed assignments or course activities (or both) were insufficient to make normal evaluation of academic performance possible. The "WU" is used where letter grades are assigned. For purposes of grade point average computation, is equivalent to an "F". Unlike the "I" grade, the "WU" grade may not be changed by submitting additional work. Rather, the student must re-enroll in the course and, if appropriate, use the repeat and cancel process.

What is CSUDH’s Repeat and Cancel Policy?

The Repeat and Cancel policy may be used only by students seeking a baccalaureate degree and applies only to undergraduate courses. The policy may be used only for grades WU, F, D, D+, C-, and IC. For courses completed before Fall 2009, the student must file a "Notice of Repeated Course" form with the Registrar. The previous grade is removed from the student's grade point average. However, the grade remains on the transcript but is annotated as being discounted form GPA calculations. Beginning in fall 2009, students are limited to 16 semester units of Repeat and Cancel.

Don't forget to schedule an appointment or stop in during drop-in hours for more information from an academic advisor. Learn more about general guidelines for Drop-in verses Appointment.

Follow the UAC: