Certification Request

The Certification Office for Veteran Affairs

The Certification Office is here to assist veteran students and their dependent family members that use their VA education benefits to pay for a university education.

This office processes and maintains compliance related to the certification of VA education benefits for student veterans and their dependents at CSUDH. 

We are a part of the Veterans Support Team on campus, and continuously work with our Veterans Resource Center at CSUDH. We are located on campus in Welch Hall.

The Veterans Resource Center is available to assist you with the university application process, making a seamless transition to university life, and supporting your success on campus through various programs and services.

If you are an active-duty servicemember, please remember to contact your Educational Services Officer (ESO) on base, prior to enrolling in courses or using Tuition Assistance (TA).   

Below are the chapters of federal VA education benefits used at CSUDH:

Federal VA Chapters of Education Benefits

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill®

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment®

Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Chapter 35: Dependent Educational Assistance®

Chapter 1606: MGIB Selected Reserve®

How to Request VA Enrollment Certification:

After you are admitted to the university and have been approved for education benefits by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs:

  1. Submit one of the required documents mentioned below.
  2. Submit a Certification Request Form online
  3. Wait for a confirmation email, which is automatically sent to your toromail address

*Please note: The Certification Request Form must be submitted EVERY semester, including intersesssions (i.e. Spring-Intersession, Summer, Winter).*

Required Documents:

  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE) - All chapters (Except Chapter 31, see second point)
    • Issued by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs 


  • 28-1905 – Authorized Ch.31-Voc Rehab & Employment form
    • Issued by the assigned Voc Rehab Counselor


*While this document is not required, we request that you consider submitting it to the university for possible credit evaluation towards your degree and documentation. 

CalVet College Fee Waiver (State Veteran Benefit)

The CalVet College Fee Waiver is a state benefit. It is part of the California Department of Veterans Affairs.  It is not directly affiliated with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, and it is not a federal education benefit. 

The CalVet CFW waives mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at any State of California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus.1

IMPORTANT: The CCFW does not cover extension programs, this refers to all summer courses, as well as any programs operated by the College of Extended and International Education (CEIE). The CCFW also does not cover health fees, parking fees, etc.

To find more information on eligibility for this state-funded education benefit, please visit the CalVet College Fee Waiver through the link provided.

How to Use the CFW - If you have already been approved for the CCFW and are admitted to CSUDH, please submit a copy of your approval letter to us via email or fax, using the contact information below. You may also bring a copy to our office in-person.

Contact Us

Certification Officer: Marisa Nunes (Appointments Available)
Certification Office Student Assistant Position available
Location: Admissions and Records Office, Welch Hall, 2nd Floor, Room C290
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Phone: (310) 243-2594
Fax: (310) 516-3609

Our goal is to serve those who have served our country by assisting veterans and their families obtain an education from CSUDH.


1Content from CalVet Official Website: https://www.calvet.ca.gov/