CCTC: Frequently Asked Questions

Community College Teaching Certificate

 View Course Schedule & Register  FAQs   Request Information Now!

About the Program | Prepping for Your Internship | Teaching at a Community CollegeInformation & Registration

About the Program

Do I have to have a credential to participate? Are there any pre-requisites?

The Community College Teaching Certificate is a graduate-level program. Participants should hold a master's degree in a subject area taught at the community college level, or be in a final phase of a graduate degree program, or be currently employed as an instructor in a community college. A teaching credential is not required to complete the certificate.

When are the courses? What does the program cost?

Courses are scheduled for the benefit of working adults, and are held evenings and weekends. Courses are offered 3 times a year; see Course Descriptions, Schedules & Costs above.

How long does it take to complete the certificate?

The certificate can be completed in two semesters (one for the main courses, one for the internship). However, you may take as long as you wish.

Where are the classes held?

Classes are held live online during the fall term, and asynchronously online during the spring term. Internships are held at the community college where you arrange your internship.

View campus map ►

Do you offer financial aid?

Financial aid is not available for non-credit programs. However, student loans are available through Sallie Mae at

Many people can qualify for WIOA grants. Workforce funding is generally budgeted into Adult, Dislocated Worker, Older Youth and Younger Youth categories. The majority of funding is budgeted toward adult and dislocated workers whose current job skills are out of date or will be soon. Clients seek training to update current skills or learn skills for a new career if his or her current occupation is not in demand. This program is approved for funding through the Workforce Investment and Opportunity Act. Visit the America's Job Center website for more information.

Is there an application process?

There is no application process for the program. To register, call 310-243-3741 (Option 1).

Prepping for Your Internship

What guidance or support does the program offer related to the internship? Does the program support making contacts with the internship?

The internship is something you find on your own, since each person's needs as to location, discipline, days of availability, etc., based on each individual. The Internship Mentor directs students through the process, providing helpful resources and guidance; she provides additional assistance, assuring the internship agreement is accepted by the receiving institution, following up with the students' progress and observing the student in the classroom (provided the community college is within a 25-mile radius of CSUDH).

Take a look at the Internship Process flow:

Click Diagram to Open Full Screen ►

Are there specific schools that offer an internship/have a relationship with your program?

The internship is performed at an accredited community college, which you find in terms of your field and proximity to home/work.

I'm ready to start the internship process... What paperwork is needed?

You'll need to complete and submit the following:

  1. Internship Application
  2. 400-500 Word Statement
  3. Unofficial Transcripts —or— copy of Master's Degree Diploma
  4. Two (2) Letters of Recommendation

 Internship Application Packet [Fillable PDF] ►

Teaching at a Community College

What are the degree requirements necessary to teach at a community college?

Almost all community college teaching positions require an earned masters degree. This requirement is called "the minimum qualifications or MQs." The MQs can be found online, by discipline at:

Minimum Qualifications for Faculty and Administrators in California Community Colleges

Do I need a masters degree to complete your program?

Most likely. This is due to the fact that the third course in the certificate is the teaching internship. The teaching internship is the capstone course and the heart of the CCTC program. To qualify for the teaching internship a student teacher must satisfy the MQs in that discipline.

To make sure a student has the best chance of completing the certificate, students are required to meet the MQs prior to entering the CCTC program, i.e., already have an earned masters or be in the final semester of their masters program.

Professional Links: How to Get a Community College Teaching Job

Minimum Qualifications Handbook for Faculty and Administrators in California Community Colleges [2022 PDF] (for reference only)


↑ Back to Top

[Download Adobe Reader FREE]

 Information & Registration

When you're ready to register for courses, call 310-243-3741 (Option 1). 

The deadline to enroll for courses for most certificate programs is FOUR (4) BUSINESS DAYS or earlier before the class begins; please check the Course Schedule for the program to ensure that you can enroll on time.

Have other questions?
Check this program's FAQs (if provided), or simply call: 310-243-2075, email:, or use our LiveChat ↘ to ask questions or leave a detailed message regarding this program.