Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP)

All faculty, student, and staff traveling internationally on CSU business are required to use the California State University Risk Management Authority (CSURMA) Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP).

FTIP benefits include but are not limited to the following:

  • General Liability and Excess Auto Liability
  • Primary Medical Expense, Emergency Medical Benefits, and Evacuation
  • Repatriation of Remains
  • Political Evacuations and Repatriation Benefit War Risk Coverage
  • Accidental Death and Dismemberment Benefit

How Do I Request FTIP?

Travelers submit the required travel approval request paperwork through the normal approval process. Upon of receipt of the President’s approval of international travel for faculty, student, or staff, Risk Management will automatically request foreign travel insurance coverage though CSURMA. In most instances, the request will be completed within 2-5 working days. Once the insurance has been purchased, travelers will receive a "Travel Assist" card from Risk Management that provides instructions on how to access the insurance benefits and includes necessary telephone numbers. Please note that Risk Management does not approve or coordinate any aspect of your travel. For assistance with required forms, approval authorization, and coordination of your travel, please consult your approving authority.

Foreign Travel Authorization Requirement

All foreign travel requires the President’s approval.

Safety Tips While Traveling Abroad

Risk Management has developed safety training information for students who are traveling internationally. Faculty members presenting the training to students should document the training as part of pre-departure orientation.

High Hazard Countries

For travel to countries listed on the U.S. Department of State Travel Warning list or High Hazardous Country List, required underwriter approval must be reported as soon as practical, but no less than 30 days prior to the planned departure date. Consult your approving authority (Department Chair, Vice President, Dean or Provost) for additional information.

For the most current high hazard/travel warning information, please consult the following:

Please note that both lists are subject to change.

Travel to War Risk Countries

High hazard international travel to “War Risk” countries must continue to be submitted to Systemwide Risk Management in the Chancellor’s Office for review and approval following appropriate review and approval at the campus level. “War Risk” countries are countries designated as such by the CSU’s Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) underwriters.

The list of “War Risk” counties can be found on the CSURMA High Hazardous Country List:

Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

It is recommended that all faculty, students, and staff traveling internationally sign up for the U. S. Department of State’s Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This is a system utilized by the Department of State to connect with the traveler; providing information should conditions change in the foreign location and assist you in an emergency. The traveler need only enroll once and then can update as trips are planned.

The on-line enrollment site is

Release of Liability Waiver

Any individual who is not a University employee or volunteer must sign a release of liability, promise not to sue, assumption of risk, and agreement to pay claims prior to their departure date.

The Release of Liability form is available from the following link:


CSU Memo RM 2014-01: