Use of University & Private Vehicles


The following represent CSU Dominguez Hill’s (CSUDH) guidelines regarding the use of vehicles on University or State business.

Questions regarding guidelines on the use of University and private vehicles on University or State business should be directed to Risk Management at

Our campus is responsible for keeping current on any changes to CSU guidelines and California laws and regulations on the use of vehicles. Additionally, our campus is responsible for obtaining official driving records on its employees who use vehicles on University or State business from the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Use of University (CSUDH) Vehicles

University (CSUDH) vehicles are to be used when cost savings can be realized.

University vehicles shall be used only in the conduct of University or State business. This means “only when driven in the performance of, or necessary to, or in the course of, the duties of University employment.’’ No University officer or employee shall use, or permit the use of, any University vehicle other than in the conduct of University or State business.

Only University employees may drive University vehicles. The campus may not loan or lease a University vehicle to any non-state entity, including CSU auxiliary organizations.

Use of a University vehicle as a livery of conveyance for non-University or State business will result in the vehicle not being covered by the State Motor Vehicle Liability Self-Insurance Program (VELSIP) in the event of a loss. The term livery of conveyance refers to the transporting of people or goods for hire. It includes conveyance by taxi service, motor carrier, or delivery service.

Definition of University (CSUDH) Employees

University employees are defined as persons holding a university-approved job classification in good standing. This includes all CSUDH faculty, staff, and student assistants and persons on appointed volunteer status. Persons who are not CSUDH employees are not authorized to drive University vehicles. This includes students (unless appointed as volunteers).

Definition of University (CSUDH) Vehicles

A University vehicle is defined as a motorized device for land transportation owned, leased, or rented by the University, State, or any State agency, including and not limited to automobiles, trucks, golf carts, and tractors.

Motorcycles and Bicycles

Motorcycles and bicycles shall not be used in carrying out University or State business, except for police motorcycles as approved by the campus president. Bicycles that are used solely on campus property are exempted contingent upon completion of the defensive driving course and as approved by the campus president; use of a helmet is mandatory.


University-owned vehicles should be properly parked in their designed campus location when not in use. A University vehicle may be parked at the University employee’s home, with prior approval, only when the vehicle is to be used in the conduct of University or State business the same day or on the next succeeding workday as defined below. Parking overnight at a University employee’s home is permissible when an employee is departing on or returning from an official trip away from the employee’s headquarters under circumstances which make it impractical for the employee to use other means of transportation, or where the employee’s home is reasonably en route to or from their headquarters or other place where they are to commence work the following day. When such situation occurs, the vehicle shall be parked off the street where feasible, or where the hazards of accidental damage, theft, and vandalism are reduced.

Misuse of University Vehicles

The following conditions are considered to be a misuse of University vehicles:

  • Driving a University vehicle without authorization by proper University officials.
  • Driving without a valid California or other State operator’s license of the appropriate class for the type of vehicle being driven.
  • Permitting a person who is not a University employee to drive a University vehicle.
  • Engaging in unsafe practices, including failure to use and to ensure that all passengers use all available safety equipment in the vehicle being operated. Safety equipment includes seat belts and/or shoulder harnesses.
  • Falsification of travel logs, travel authorizations, defensive driver training program certificates, accident reports, or other forms relative to the use of the vehicle.
  • Improper storage or parking of University vehicle.
  • Personal use or conveying passengers other than persons directly involved with University or State business, except with the approval of employee’s immediate supervisor.
  • Failure to comply with any law, regulation, or policy regarding the use of University vehicles, including the requirement to have satisfactorily completed a CSU-approved defensive driver training course. Employees misusing University vehicles may be personally liable for damages to persons or property caused to third parties and the legal expenses of defense. Employees who misuse University vehicles may also be subject to disciplinary action by the University. Any such disciplinary action will be pursuant to the affected employee’s applicable collective bargaining agreement.

Campus Authorization for Usage and Campus Responsibilities

CSUDH’s administration will designate an individual(s) responsible for monitoring the use of University vehicles. The designated individual(s) is responsible for determining who meets the definition of a University employee and who is authorized to drive on official University or State business and the types of vehicles they are qualified to use.


It is necessary for our campus to establish one point of control in order to:

  • Assure adherence to Executive Order 691, Motor Vehicle Inspections – Delegation of Authority
  • Fulfill the maintenance, safety and seat belt requirements.
  • Control usage in accordance with Federal, State of California, CSU, and campus laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
  • Verify and maintain use/travel logs.
  • Ensure prompt reporting of motor vehicle accidents and a post-accident review by a safety coordinator and/or supervisor (this includes completion of the Supervisor’s Report of Vehicle Accident, STD. 274.
  • Issue instructions and guidelines and clarify all relevant laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.

Usage Violations

It is the responsibility of the campus to control and regulate misuse. When misuse is discovered, it is the responsibility of the campus to determine the cost incurred and send notification to the Executive Vice Chancellor/Chief Financial Officer and the Vice Chancellor for Human Resources. The campus administration may determine what disciplinary action, if any, is to be taken against the employee including but not limited to recovery of costs associated with the misuse.

Criteria for University or Privately Owned Vehicle Usage

The campus vehicle fleet manager must determine that the following criteria have been met before releasing a University vehicle to an employee or authorizing an employee to use a private or personal vehicle on official University or State business:

  • The person requesting vehicle use is, in fact, a University employee in active, State-funded pay status or in appointed volunteer status.
  • Written approval of the use has been given by an individual authorized by the president to grant such approval.
  • The campus has requested a copy of the person’s driving record from the Department of Motor Vehicles at least once every four years and it is judged by the campus that the person has an acceptable driving record. See CVC 1808.1 and State Administrative Manual (SAM)-0751 Operator Requirements.
  • The person has satisfactorily completed a CSU-approved defensive driving course and maintains a good driving record. For those who regularly drive on University or State business (which is defined as being equal to or greater than once a month or equal to or greater than 12 times annually) they must complete a defensive driving training every four years.
    • If the person has not completed such a course, a nonrenewable, temporary permit to drive a University, private, or personal vehicle that is valid only until defensive driving training can be scheduled, but no more than 90 days post issuance of the permit may be issued. Risk Management/EHOS can assist with scheduling on-line defensive driving training.
      A person who drives less than once a month or less than 12 times annually need not complete the above course.
  • The person has a valid California or other State driver’s license in his/her possession and the driver’s license is of the correct class for the type of vehicle he/she is driving.
  • A visiting employee from another country here for more than six months must have a valid United States driver’s license in their possession in order to drive a University or State vehicle. Anyone who does not have a valid United States driver’s license should contact the Office of Risk and Insurance Management in Sacramento.
  • The campus has ensured that the driver is familiar with all applicable changes to the California Vehicle Code.
  • The following certification shall be required before an employee is authorized to drive a University vehicle or private vehicle on University or State business. This certification shall be made each time the employee accepts the keys to a University vehicle.


Driving Record

When driving records raise significant doubt as to a person’s ability to drive safely, permission to drive on University or State business should be re-assessed on a case-by-case basis. When a person has been involved in accidents or has received traffic citations in such numbers or of such gravity as to be a matter of concern, his/her driving record must be obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles for re-evaluation. Similar action must be taken if there are other indications of driving problems and/or the campus vehicle fleet manager concludes that the driver should be re-examined. Continuation of authority to drive on University or State business depends upon evaluation of the report from the Department of Motor Vehicles. California Vehicle Code 12810.5a and 12810.5b address the DMV’s “negligent operator violation points”.

CSUDH participates in the California Department of Motor Vehicle’s Employee Pull Notice Program (EPN).

Information to be Provided to the Driver

The campus vehicle fleet manager is responsible for providing the driver of a University vehicle with the following information:

  • The procedures for emergency repair and for reporting accidents.
  • Proper storing and parking procedures for University vehicles.
  • The correct gasoline and oil to be used in the vehicle.
  • What constitutes misuse, including failure to use seat belts and/or shoulder harnesses.
  • That monthly use logs must be filled in completely for each trip, regardless of the duration, miles driven, or the purpose; if the trip is longer than one day, a new entry for each day must be made.
  • That all necessary documents are in the glove compartment of each vehicle. (It is the task of the campus vehicle fleet manager to ensure that a current copy of all necessary handbooks, accident report forms (STD. 269), travel logs, etc., are in the glove compartment of each University vehicle.)
  • That dogs may not be transported in University vehicles, with the exception of a seeing-eye, K-9, or service dogs.
  • That University employee may not pick up hitchhikers in a University vehicle. The campus vehicle fleet manager may decide upon further restrictions for which the employee driver will be equally responsible.

Reminder Stickers

Cars should have reminder stickers in appropriate locations for such purposes as ensuring use of seat belts, use of appropriate oil, and gasoline and non-smoking requirements.

Use of Privately Owned Vehicles

Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles

Management has the responsibility for authorizing persons to drive privately owned vehicles to conduct official University or State business. This responsibility may be delegated to the lowest practical supervisory level who can exercise proper control.

Before a person may be authorized to use a privately owned vehicle to conduct University or State business, the person must certify in writing that the vehicle used will always be:

  • Covered by liability insurance in at least the following amounts:
    • $15,000 for personal injury to, or death of, one person,
    • $30,000 for personal injury to two or more persons in one accident, and
    • $5,000 for property damage
  • Adequate for the work to be performed;
  • Equipped with safety belts in operating condition; and
  • In safe mechanical condition as required by law.

This certification will be recorded on STD. Form 261, Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on University or State business. The completed authorization form shall be retained by the supervisor empowered to approve the use of privately owned vehicles.

Authorization forms will be valid for a period not to exceed one year. Once completed, STD. Form 261 may be initialed and dated annually by the employee to certify that it is current.

The supervisor shall verify that there is a fully executed current authorization form on file before signing a Travel Expense Claim, STD. Form 262, for the claimant. This will help assure that the person is aware that the coverage must be provided by the person’s insurance rather than through any State sponsored insurance program. The person’s signature on the Travel Expense Claim shall certify that the minimum insurance and safety requirements were in effect and had been properly recorded before the privately owned vehicle was used.

Each person who plans to drive a privately owned vehicle should be aware that the liability coverage maintained by the University/State (ORIM) is only applicable to that liability of the person which is over and above the liability insurance maintained by the person. (Insurance Code 11580.9)