Post Grad Public Health Certificate

Public Health Nurse Certificate 

Current regulations for public health nurse certification require that the nurse be a graduate of a BSN degree program accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).

CSUDH BSN Graduates

All BSN graduates of the School of Nursing may be eligible to apply for the PHN Certificate.

After your degree has been posted:

  1. Complete the PHN Certificate application from the Board of Registered Nursing's (BRN) website: (per the BRN, the 'Request for Transcript' form in the PHN application packet is no longer required)
  2. Request your official transcripts from CSU Dominguez Hills via the transcripts request website: You may do either of the following:
  • Request CSUDH send the transcripts to you. Mail your unopened transcripts with your application to the BRN.
  • Request CSUDH send the transcripts directly to the BRN. You must provide the BRN's mailing address when requesting the transcripts online. Mail your application separately to the BRN.

Nurses with a BSN degree from another university

Nurses with a BSN degree from another university may be deficient in the clinical hours necessary to receive a PHN Certificate.  These students will need to take BSN 423 Community-based Role Performance which includes 90 hours of clinical.  This course will be taken through Open University via the Extended Education Department. For PHN Open U Students, BSN 423 will be available in Fall and Spring semesters only. 


  1. Apply to the CA BRN for the PHN Certificate If you are deficient in clinical hours, the BRN will send you a letter of deficiency.
  2. Email a PDF copy of your BRN Letter of Deficiency to BSN Program Specialist ( Requests will not be considered without a Letter of Deficiency.
    • Within 1-2 weeks of receipt, your letter of deficiency will be reviewed and, if approved, you will be emailed a BSN 423 Clinical Application packet. 
  3. Submit your BSN 423 Clinical Placement Application packet by the appropriate deadline listed below. No late applications will be accepted. If you miss the application deadline, please prepare to submit an application for the next available term.
    • Open University students seeking a PHN Certificate will need to supply their own site and preceptor. Approval of the site/preceptor will be dependent upon CSUDH having an active affiliation agreement that will remain active through the full semester, and the clinical faculty member's approval of the preceptor.
  4. Students will be notified by email toward the beginning of the term with information about enrolling in the course via Open University. Current Open University costs: $311/unit for Undergrad; $369/unit for Graduate (Post Bacc’s are charged at graduate rate).









RNs without a BSN will have the opportunity to complete our RN-BSN program to qualify for the PHN Certificate

Foreign Nursing School Graduates

If you are currently licensed as a registered nurse in the U.S. and have earned a BSN from a school outside the United States, you must contact the BRN directly at (916) 322-1988. Go to the BRN’s website  for details.