Study Abroad ► Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I start to study abroad?

One of the first steps to studying abroad is to attend an information session. The Study Abroad Advisor hosts these info sessions a few times per semester to cover the basics of study abroad at CSUDH, including program options, costs, financial aid, requirements, and more. 

You will also want to schedule a one-on-one appointment with the Study Abroad Advisor. Book a study abroad advising appointment with Racheal now!

Students may also visit our office without a scheduled appointment to pick up brochures, ask general questions, and look into programs. Our office, located in the Extended Education Administration Building, is always open when the University is open.

Where can I study with my major?

Almost anywhere! Students can study abroad and do coursework not only in their major but also in their minor or general education classes.

Will my credits transfer?

Yes, they will! Every unit you earn abroad will be reflected on your CSUDH transcript. Before you leave for your time abroad, meet with your academic advisors for your major, minor, and/or general education classes. You can discuss which classes will count toward graduation requirements so that your courses will transfer back accordingly. Just make sure to get your program courses approved before you go abroad!

What are the minimum requirements to study abroad?

The requirements vary by program. The minimum GPA ranges from 2.0 to 3.0 or higher, depending on the program. Some programs require you to be a sophomore or an undergraduate student. If you have questions about program minimum requirements, meet our Study Abroad Advisor.

Can I study abroad with a GPA lower than what is required?

The flexibility of the GPA requirement varies by program. Some programs allow you to submit an appeal if your GPA is lower than the requirement for the program. The final decision, however, is at the discretion of the program or host university abroad. Students should make an appointment to chat with our Study Abroad Advisor to discuss their specific situation.

I don’t speak another language. Can I still go abroad?

We offer many programs in English-speaking countries or at English-speaking universities worldwide. However, if you don't speak the local language, many of our programs in non-English speaking countries offer intensive language courses.

How much does it cost to go abroad?

Fees vary by program and location. For example, CSUDH students taking CSUIP programs will pay the same tuition fees as CSUDH. However, the cost of living will vary by location. There are some programs where students spend roughly the same amount or less than they would have at CSUDH.

Are there scholarships available?

There are many scholarships available to students who study abroad. We recommend starting to research scholarships early.

Can I take online CSUDH classes while I'm abroad?

Students cannot take online CSUDH classes while they are enrolled in courses abroad. This is because study abroad students are placed in the "study abroad placeholder units" during their time abroad, which does not allow them to enroll in additional course units. There may be exceptions made for exchange students in special circumstances.

Do I need to enroll in CSUDH classes while I am abroad?

You DO NOT enroll in CSUDH classes during the term(s) you are studying abroad. While you are abroad, the CSUDH Study Abroad Office will enroll you in "placeholder units" for the term(s) so all campus officials at CSUDH know you are studying abroad.

I studied abroad last semester and my grades have not been posted yet. Help!

Depending on the program and location where you studied abroad, transcripts can take several months to arrive and be processed. We will email you when your official transcripts have arrived and have been sent down to the the Registrar's Office. The Evaluations office will then post your grades onto your MyCSUDH portal. We ask that students are patient during the process as it can often at least one or two months once grades are received to be posted.

Can I study abroad through a non-affiliate study abroad program?

While there are many opportunities for students to study abroad, we highly recommend students study abroad through organizations that have agreements with CSUDH. If students prefer to do a non-affiliate program, please be advised this will require extra work, and you are responsible for planning. Study abroad advising is limited, financial aid may not be available, and your credits are not guaranteed to transfer.

Attention Graduate Students:

On all programs except for CSUIP, your minimum full-time unit requirement will be the equivalent of nine units. CSUIP requires that you enroll in 15 units per semester.

The following is a process if you plan on transferring credit to CSUDH at a later date:
To get courses approved for major or other credit, please talk to the appropriate academic advisors (staff and/or faculty) in the departments where you would like to transfer your credits. You need to provide the name of the course(s) you will take and course descriptions. Please stop by the Study Abroad Office (EE 1300) to pick up the non-affiliate credit transfer form and have it completed by the faculty or staff who approve that the credits may count towards your degree requirements.