Due to COVID-19, office staff will be working remotely. However, in order to ensure that we continue to meet your needs and respond in a timely manner to your questions, please feel free to contact us at graduation@csudh.edu for graduation-related issues. For all other petitions and questions you may have as a current or former student, please contact us at registrar@csudh.edu.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for graduation?

Applying to graduate is done electronically. Log into your my.CSUDH.edu account. Click on the Student Center link. Find the Apply for Graduation link. Select your Expected Graduation Term. Verify that your degree information, address, and names are correct. Then click Submit! The Application for Graduation costs $85.00 if you are applying within the deadline. If you are applying during the late deadline period, an extra $15.00 fee is added to your account. Fees must be paid within 48 hours of submitting the application.    

When should I apply for graduation?

All students should apply for graduation no later than the published deadlines. Bachelor degree candidates are encouraged to apply for graduation if they have earned at least 90 semester units or have less than 10 courses to complete. 

How do I check the status of my graduation application?

Students should login to their my.CSUDH.edu to review their Academic Requirement Report. The Academic Requirement Report will indicate what the status of your graduation application is and any outstanding degree requirements you may have. If you have further questions on how to review your Academic Requirement Report, please contact your major advisor and/or university advisor.           

Why does the Graduation Evaluation show I need the courses in which I'm currently enrolled?

The Graduation Evaluation reflects all courses outstanding including those in progress. Course requirements are not met until final grades are assigned.

I received my Associates degree from a Community College. Why are you holding me for General Studies requirements?

The Associates degree is not the same thing as General Education (GE) Certification. CSUDH bachelor degree candidates must meet all CSUDH GE requirements or be GE Certified via their community college.

What is GE Certification?

GE Certification is the process in which the community college certifies that you have completed General Education according to their GE plan. This plan may differ from CSUDH's GE plan, but is accepted as meeting lower division GE requirements.

How many units/courses can I have outstanding and still graduate?


What's the difference between Commencement and Graduation?

Graduation is the completion of all degree requirements recorded on the official transcript and Academic Requirements Report. Commencement is the ceremony that celebrates the completion of a degree. Participating in Commencement does not imply that you have officially graduated with an awarded degree.

Can I go through Commencement Ceremonies and finish my courses later?

Spring Commencement Ceremonies are for those students that have graduated the previous Fall and for those who are candidates for Spring or Summer. You may attend these ceremonies if you fall into one of these groups. However, participation in Commencement Ceremonies is not the same as graduating. You will not be able to actually graduate until all of your requirements are met. If you have not completed all requirements by the end of the semester you indicated, you will have to change your date of graduation and complete a Request for Change of Graduation Date form and pay a $10.00 fee. You may obtain this form on the Downloadable Forms web page.

For information about the Commencement Ceremony please contact the Office of Ceremonies and Events by telephone at (310) 243-2666 or by email at events@csudh.edu.

Can I retake courses after I graduate to improve my GPA?

No. After you have graduated, your record is sealed. No changes will be made to academic records once the degree has been completed and conferred.

What do I need to do if I have been denied graduation?

Students are encouraged to contact their major advisor to review outstanding degree requirements and their university advisor (University Advisement Center) for any outstanding general education requirements. Student record change/update forms must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records (WH-290) no later than two (2) weeks upon the delivery of the denial notice; this is to ensure graduation within the same term.

What if I cannot graduate in the term I've applied to graduate?

Students should file a change of graduation form in the Office of Admissions and Records after obtaining the appropriate signatures. This will allow the student to register for an additional term.