STUDENT TEACHING (Under Construction)

  • Student Teacher
  • Special Education
  • Multiple and Single Subject and Education Specialist Intern Credential Programs
  • School Counseling Fieldwork/Internship

SERVICE LEARNING (Under Construction)



SAFECLIP provides General and Professional Liability coverage for students enrolled in service-learning course sections for which they receive academic credit. In essence, the program provides indemnity including legal defense costs for students, faculty, campus and host institution (when required by contract/agreement) if there is a claim or lawsuit involving injury to others or damage to property in connection with service learning and other academic fieldwork experiences.

Service Learning (SAFECLIP ONLY)
Afro American Studies 
Agricultural Education 
Agricultural Mechanics 
Animal Science 
Apparel Merchandising and Management 
Asn, Eur Arm/American Studies 
Broadcast Communication Arts 
Child Development 
City and Regional Planning 
Community Services 
Computer Sciences 
Creative Arts 
Creative Writing 
Curriculum and Instruction 
Design and Industry 
Environmental Studies 
Foreign Languages 
Holistic Health 
Home Economics 
Hotel and Restaurant Management 
Human Development
Human Services
Hutchins School
Industrial Arts
Information Systems
Inter,Multi Studies
Jewish Studies
Landscape Architecture
Liberal Arts
Liberal Studies
Library Science
Mexican American Stds
Native American Studies
Natural Resources
Physical Education
Police Science
Political Science
Public Administration
Public Relations
Quantitative Methods
Radio Television
Small College
Social Science
Special Major
Tutorials, General, Experiential Studies
Urban Studies
Women's Studies
World Business


Similarly, SPLIP provides General and Professional Liability coverage as well as Educator’s Errors & Omissions Liability coverage for students enrolled in Nursing, Allied Health, Social Work or Education credential programs of the CSU who also perform community service or volunteer work for academic credit.

SPLIP covers the student, the University and the host institution while the student is engaged in the clinical experience. It is intended to meet the contract requirements of the medical institution for their protection against some action by the student or patient. SPLIP is not intended to replace any professional liability (malpractice) insurance the individual student may carry for incidents outside of the clinical experience situation.

Professions covered under SPLIP are as follows:

Nursing Professions

Case Manager 
Geriatric Nursing Assistant 
Nurses Aide - Facility Setting 
Nurses Aide - In-home Setting 
Nursing Assistant - Facility Setting 
Nursing Assistant - In-home Setting
Home Health Aide
Nurse - Anesthetists
Nurse - Midwives
Registered Nurse

Nurse Practitioner:

  • Geriatric/Adult/Family Planning-GYN
  • OB-GYN/Acute Critical Care OB-GYN
  • Pediatric/Neonatal/Family Practice/Acute Care
  • Psychiatric
Allied Health Professions

Art Therapist
Athletic Trainer
Blood Bank Technician
Bio-Medical Technician
Cardiographic Technician
Certified Laboratory Technician
Certified Medical Assistant
Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant
Chiropractic Assistant
Circulation Technician
Clinical Laboratory Technician
Community Health Assistant
Community Health Technician
Corrective Therapist
Dance Therapist
Dental Hygienist
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Dialysis Technician
EEG (Electroencephalogram) Technician
EKG (Electrocardiogram) Technician
Enterostomal Therapist
Exercise Physiologist
Health Educator
Histologic Technician
Hospital Pharmacy Technician
Laboratory Aide
Massage Therapist
Medical Assistant
Medical Laboratory Technician
Medical Records Administrator
Medical Technician Assistant
Mental Retardation Worker
Music Therapist
Nuclear Medical Technician
Occupational Therapist
Occupational Therapist Assistant
Optometry Assistant/Technician
Orthopedic Assistant
Personal Trainer
Pharmacist Technician
Physical Therapist
Physical Therapist Assistant
Physician Assistant Podiatric Asst
Radiation Therapist
Radiological Technician
Recreation Therapist
Rehabilitation Assistant
Rehabilitation Therapist
Respiratory Care Practitioner
Respiratory Care Provider
Respiratory Therapist
Respiratory Therapist Technician
Social Worker
Speech Hearing Therapist
Speech Language Pathologist
Sports Medicine Instructor
Sports Medicine Therapist
Surgical Technician
Vascular Technologists
X-Ray Machine Operator

Social Work/Social Welfare Professions

Alcohol/Drug Counselor
Bodywork Counselor
Career Counselor
Clinical Counselor
Counselor Educator
Forensic Counselor
Genetic Counselor
Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor
Licensed Professional Counselor
Life Coach Counselor
Marriage/Family Counselor
Mental Health Counselor
Pastoral Counselor
Psychological Counselor
Rehabilitation Counselor
Social Worker

Education/Teaching Professions

School Administration:

  • Admittance
  • Desegregation
  • Enrollment
  • Expulsion
  • Extracurricular Activities
  • Integration

Educational Instruction:

  • Career Guidance
  • Guidance Counseling
  • School Counselor
  • Student Consumerism
  • Teaching Assistants
Student Professional Liability Insurance FAQs

What is the difference between SPLIP and SAFECLIP?

  • SPLIP covers CSUDH students enrolled in the health professional practicum or the education credential programs. These are the students participating in nursing and allied health and teaching or education fieldwork. 
  • SAFECLIP covers students performing community service or volunteer work for academic credit and/or students in radio, television or film academic programs.

Why are there two separate programs?

Insurance underwriters determined that there were greater risks for students involved in internships in health and nursing and allied fields than in the less defined service learning fieldwork, so the SPLIP program was negotiated by CSU Risk Management first. That experience made it easier to negotiate SAFECLIP at a lower rate.

Does a site agreement need to be in place in order to provide coverage under either of these programs?

Yes, a site agreement must be in place in order for this insurance protection to be in effect. The agreement for academic placement between the University and a host entity is essential to establish the educational objectives of the experience and to detail responsibilities should an assigned student be injured or accused of causing injury to or damaging property of others. Once an agreement is in place, multiple placements may be facilitated.

What are the responsibilities of University faculty and staff toward student internships and placements in the external work environment?

Faculty and staff have a high level of responsibility for assuring the students’ safety when identifying, approving and placing students in the external work environment. It is similar to the responsibility faculty take on for a normal laboratory course or field trip experience; but the external work environment is different in that there is no direct University supervision. It is therefore an important part of any off-campus assignment that faculty and staff conduct site inspections and verify that environmental and occupational safety requirements are consistent with University and/or “industry standards".

If a student is injured during an internship or service learning experience, how are the related medical bills handled?

The protection for students placed in internships and service learning fieldwork experiences is determined by the site agreement. The University standard internship and service learning agreement, which is processed through Procurement and Contracts, contains wording that makes it clear that the students shall at no time be considered as officers, employees, and agents or volunteers of the University. Therefore, the students are not covered by the University’s Workers’ Compensation insurance program.

The Learning Plan informs students that they are personally responsible for paying any costs related to the treatment of any injury or illness they may suffer while at the Learning Site. For this reason, students are encouraged to have health insurance. 

How can I obtain more information?

For information regarding the SPLIP and SAFECLIP policies, contact The California State University Risk Management Authority at the Office of the Chancellor at (562) 951-4850 or CSUDH Procurement and Contracts at 310-243-3799.

New Contract Request

Agreements and Memorandum of Understanding Requests (Under Construction)

Coming Soon

Student Placement/Affiliation Agreements

All placement/affiliation agreements must be submitted to Procurement and Contracts no less than three (3) weeks prior to commencement of the agreement. Departments must plan accordingly when requesting new placement agreements.

For academic programs that require an internship as part of the course requirement, the relationship between the University and receiving site is memorialized through an “Affiliation” or “Student Placement” agreement. The agreement secures the student’s access to the site and ensures that the site’s personnel will supervise the student and provide a meaningful experience. The agreement also defines the relationship between the University, the site, and the student.

An agreement between the University and the site is only necessary for unpaid internships that are for academic credit.

Paid internships, or any other internship that is not for academic credit (i.e., the student desires experience within a certain field or with a specific company), do not require an agreement between the University and the site since the University is not coordinating the internship experience.

Agreement Process


Procurement and Contracts has developed approved templates for contracting with placement sites. Once an academic program identifies the site, the approved template must be sent to the internship site for review and approval.

A copy of the signed agreement should be returned to the academic program (scanned and emailed is acceptable) from the placement site. The academic program will then submit a Contract Request to Procurement and Contracts via OCS for final processing. 

Once the agreement is signed by both parties, the requesting department will receive a final copy of the agreement from Procurement and Contracts. The fully executed copy will also be available on OCS.

Only Procurement and Contracts is authorized to sign Affiliation Agreements or Student Placement Agreements. Students should not begin their internships before the agreement is approved and signed by both parties.

If an internship site requests modification of the University template, please contact Procurement and Contracts to determine if such revisions are possible at 310-243-3799.

If an internship site requests to use its template Affiliation Agreement, please upload their agreement (include all attachments or referenced exhibits)  into OCS and Procurement and Contracts will work directly with the site to review and negotiate terms.


OCS offers Academic Programs the ability to perform the following functions:

  1. Find a contract (Active and Expired contracts available for review)
  2. Send a contract request to Procurement and Contracts
  3. View/Track your contract request
  4. Add notes, status requests to contract requests

Academic Programs may use the OCS menu to search current contracts and to submit Contract Requests to Procurement and Contracts. If prompted for a login while using the menus please use the same account and password you use to login to your campus PC. For any questions please contact our office at (310) 243-3799.

Contract Renewals and Changes

The requesting department will receive a notification via email from OCS identifying agreements that are due to expire. Departments wishing to renew contracts shall follow the above process to request a new contract. 

If during the performance of the agreement, the Academic Program or department identifies changes to the program or requirements/responsibilities of the parties, contact Procurement and Contracts to discuss issuing an addendum to revise the original agreement. 

Agreement Processing Times

The turnaround time for obtaining an agreement will vary. Due to the large volume of requests, please allow 3-4 weeks for processing each agreement. All processing times are dependent on the complexity of the agreement.

If using the approved CSUDH agreement template, the processing time will between 2-4 days after the request is entered in OCS. 

For any questions please contact Procurement and Contracts at 310-243-3799.