What can I do with a bachelor’s degree in Child Development?

Getting a degree in Child Development is most useful for students who want to work with children or for children in any capacity and are dedicated to the well-being of children. An undergraduate degree in Child Development can lead to working as, or working in any of the following settings: parent educator, preschool teacher, court appointed special advocate for children, companies that manufacture products for children such as toys, books and software, after-school programs, K-12 teacher, youth counselor, program planner (in any program for children), child life specialist (working with hospitalized children), teen pregnancy counselor, and child development consultant.

Back to top

What if I really am committed to children’s welfare but I don’t think I have the personality to work with them?

You can always work for children “behind the scenes”. You can take part in child advocacy, become a child development researcher, a software designer or a child policy analyst. Of course, some of these positions may need additional training just as you would need to get a teaching credential to become a teacher.

Back to top

What are the courses that I would have to take to major in Child Development?

Just as in any other major, you would have to complete the General Education (GE) courses and the courses in the major. Consult the University Catalog for current GE course requirements. Please download the CDV Program Plan (pdf) for a complete list of required courses. 

Back to top

If I am a transfer student from a Community College, what should I start with?

If you are a transfer student, please see an academic advisor on your campus to find out which classes offered on your campus transfer to CSUDH. You can check this information on www.assist.org. If you have completed the equivalent of CDV 150-Introduction to Child Development, you may be taking the foundational level courses-CDV 325,CDV 330, and CDV 360. You can also start by completing the GE requirements. If you have completed all the lower division GE courses, you can start enrolling in upper division (the 300 and 400-level) GE courses.

Back to top

If I am a freshman, what courses do I enroll in?

Begin taking your lower division General Elective (GE) courses. In Child Development, you may enroll in CDV 150-Introduction to Child Development. You should complete CDV 150 by the end of your sophomore year.

Back to top

How do I keep track of what I have completed and what I need to take?

There are three things you must do to make sure you take the required courses and know where you are at in the program:

  1. See an academic advisor as soon as you are admitted into CSUDH and then periodically (upon completion of 60 units and then after completing 90 units of coursework). 
  2. Use the CDV Program Plan (pdf). Fill it out as you progress through the program. 
  3. Make a plan for yourself with the help of your major advisor in the Student Services Center in WH A-300.

Back to top

What can I do if I think I have completed a similar course at a different campus but I do not find it articulated on assist.org? Can I request that the course be used to substitute a Child Development course offered at CSUDH?

Yes, you may certainly request that the course you have taken be reviewed for equivalency with a child development course offered at CSUDH. To put in such a request, please fill out the course substitution form [PDF] and attach

  1. your transcript indicating when and where you took the course and the grade you received, 
  2. the catalog description of the course, and 
  3. the syllabus of the course.

Turn in this material at the Child Development Department office. We will review the request and get back to you promptly.

Back to top

[Get Adobe Acrobat Reader]

Can I use work experience to substitute the lab portion of courses or the fieldwork (CDV 496) requirement?

No. Work experience will not be accepted as a substitute for the lab portion of courses or the fieldwork (CDV 496) requirement. The fieldwork/ lab work that you complete in the program is supervised with the purpose of guiding your experience in a manner that meshes with the current scientific knowledge in the field of Child Development which you will study in class. Your passing of the coursework indicates that specific learning objectives have been achieved.

Back to top