There are three different kinds of advisement available to students:
  1. General Advisement: For all your general education requirements, request to meet with a GE counselor in the University Advisement Center (UAC). For more information, please visit
  2. Major Advisement: For all your Child Development course advisement needs, set up an appointment with Lisa Langford in CHHSN Advising. Please use the Toro Success Collaborative (TSC) Online Appointment System in myCSUDH or email for an appointment.
  3. Faculty Advisement: Faculty Advisors can provide information regarding career choices, graduate school, selecting electives, and approving course/elective substitutions.
There are additional resources available online:
Technology-Assisted AdvisingPlease use the interactive SMART PLANNER to plan your personal path to graduation. Smart Planner gives you a visual presentation of your current academic status and your plan for each semester. Students and advisors are able to:
  • Run an Academic Requirements Report to view your remaining academic requirements to complete your degree
  • Plan the specific courses you intend to take to meet the requirements
  • Use the integrated Schedule Planner to tailor your coursework according to your availability. Your planned coursework can be imported into a shopping cart to prepare you to enroll in your courses when registration opens. To watch a tutorial, visit the website 
Articulation Agreements: To determine if any courses you have taken at other colleges articulate with our courses, visit

All courses that students want to apply to the Child Development major, must have been passed with a “C” or better. If you have questions regarding course articulation, please contact your Major Advisor at the Student Services Center.

Preparing for your Advisement Appointment

  • Please have your Student ID (SID) available when you make your appointment. 
  • Please bring in necessary forms and documentation (e.g., petition for exception) to your advisement appointment.
  • Please indicate any holds you have in the subject line for faster service.
  • Please use your ToroMail for all communication!

Registration Holds: If you are inquiring about a problem affecting your registration, please check  MYCSUDH to identify:

  • what type of hold you have (e.g., financial aid, probation)
  • the department (e.g., University Advisement Center, Financial Aid) that placed the hold before requesting assistance. 

The CHHSN Advising is not able to remove all holds. They are only able to remove holds that pertain to Major Advising and Academic Probation, but  not STEPS Probation Holds, which are put on by the University Advisement Center. 

  • For all other holds, students should contact the department that placed the hold to have it removed. 
  • To remove holds placed by the Child Development Program, please email your academic advisor Lisa Langford OR make an advisement appointment with her using the Toro Success Collaborative (TSC) Online Appointment System in myCSUDH or by emailing .