Admission Requirements & Application Process

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

A. Questions about the MSOT Program and CSUDH:

  1. How many students do you admit to the Program?
    We only admit one cohort of students per year, which starts every Spring semester. In the past several years, we admitted approximately 66-70 students per year.

  2. How long is the Program?
    Completion of the MSOT Program takes less than 2 ½ years. Admitted students matriculate together with a set schedule of classes for seven consecutive semesters, including summers.

  3. Can I work while in the Program?
    The MSOT Program is meant to be a full-time program. Because of the rigors of the course requirements and fieldwork placements, there will not be much time for work. If you want information about financial aid eligibility, refer to: http://www.csudh.edu/financial-aid/
  4. What is the cost of the Program?
    To better estimate current Program cost, refer to the website on current tuition and fee rates (in addition to MSOT lab fees): http://www.csudh.edu/financial-aid/cost.  Details can be found at https://www2.calstate.edu/attend/paying-for-college/tuition-by-year.                                                                                                                   
  5. Do you have information regarding housing and other campus amenities?
    Refer to the following information sources:

B. Questions Regarding the Application Process and Packet:

  1. Where do I get the student number needed in the MSOT Application From?
    A few days after you process the University Application through Cal State Apply, the University Admissions and Records office will send you a letter of acknowledgement, which would indicate your student number. However, if you do not receive the letter that state your student ID number in time to meet application deadline, leave it blank. Prioritize meeting the MSOT Program application deadline.

  2. What is the MSOT Program code asked for in the Cal State Apply University Application?
    For Cal State Apply: MSOT Program Code is 12081

  3. Do I need to write a personal essay for the MSOT Program application that is submitted to the Department?
    No. An essay is not required in the MSOT Application Packet for the Department. The Application to the University, however, asks for a personal statement.

  4. It was announced that attendance to an Info session is required, what should I do if I am unable to attend a session because I live out-of-state?
    Potential applicants who will be unable to attend an information session need to petition a waiver by following the steps delineated on our website: http://www.csudh.edu/ot/events/waive-info-session/ Information session schedules are posted on the website: http://www.csudh.edu/ot/events/index#info-sessions   
  5. When can decisions be expected after submission of application?
    Selection timeline depends on the number of applicants and the admission committee review process. Thus, we are unable to provide specific dates for admission decisions. Nonetheless, decisions have typically been made by mid to late November.

  6. If I don’t get selected, can I re-apply and do I still need to re-submit all requirements?
    Yes. Packets of applicants who did not make the selection are discarded after the final decision has been made. Thus, requirements need to be re-submitted if re-applying to the Program. Nonetheless, prior non-selection does not negatively influence the applicant’s chances of getting selected regardless of how many times the person has re-applied.

C. Questions Regarding Prerequisite courses:

  1. Could prerequisite courses be in progress upon submission of application?
    No. All prerequisite courses need to be completed by the time of application submission. All prerequisite grades need to be reflected in official transcripts that are included in the application packet.

  2. Is there a minimum required grade for each prerequisite course?
    The applicant should have passed each course with at least a C. But grades for all prerequisite courses should have an average of at least a B.

  3. How long ago should all prerequisites have been taken?
    Prerequisite courses should have been completed within the last ten years.

  4. Could pre-requisite courses be taken from a community college?
    Yes, prerequisite courses could be taken from any accredited college or University

  5. Can Human Anatomy and Human Physiology be taken as a combined Course?
    Yes, combined Anatomy and Physiology courses are acceptable as long as it is offered with Lab components, total at least 6 semester units, focus on general gross human structures, and taken from an accredited institution.

  6. Would any type of Developmental Psychology or Human Development course be an acceptable pre-requisite course?
    No. It is important that the course focus on human developmental milestones across the entire lifespan, from infancy to older adult. It is also acceptable to combine two or more Development courses that focus on different life stages, e.g. a course on Childhood Development from infancy to adolescent and a course on Adulthood and Aging.

D. Questions regarding the GRE:

  1. Is the GRE still required for applicants who already have an MA or MS of a different field?
    Yes. Submission of the GRE is required for the application.

  2. Is there a limit to how many times I can take the GRE?
    No. We will take the highest combined Verbal and Quantitative score.
    Note that we also require a minimum of 4.0 score on the Analytical Writing portion, but it could be from a test date different from the combined Verbal and Quantitative portions.

  3. When requesting for GRE scores to be sent to CSUDH, what do I put as school and department codes?
    For the GRE: CSUDH School Code is 4098; OT Department Code is 0618.
    It is very important that you indicate both school and department codes.

E. Questions regarding the GPA requirement:

  1. Could my Bachelors degree be in progress during application?
    No. Because the applicant pools have typically been highly competitive, the applicant’s Bachelor of Arts or Science degree needs to be completed by the time of application submission. Final GPA needs to be reflected in an official transcript that is included in the application packet.

  2. What do I do if I am an international student and/or I have transcripts/degree from another country?
    You need to have your transcripts evaluated. Refer to the World Education Services: https://www.wes.org/. For more questions related to being an international student: https://www.csudh.edu/ceie-intl/intl-student-info/
  3. If I already earned a Masters degree, can I submit the graduate GPA in replacement of my Bachelors GPA?
    No. You need to identify the GPA of your Bachelors degree on the checklist, but you can identify your earned Master’s degree in the section that asks about previously completed education in the MSOT Program Application Form.

F. Questions regarding OT volunteer or observation hours:

  1. I am having difficulty finding a volunteer site, could you recommend one?
    We do not provide a list of possible volunteer sites to potential applicants. Nonetheless, any type of facility or institution is acceptable as long as you are supervised by a registered occupational therapist (OTR).

    Another option is to take an OTR workshop: Introduction to Occupational Therapy Workshop. To register, contact the OT Department at: otprogram@csudh.edu. Completion of the course waives the required 80 volunteer or observation hours.

  2. How do I confirm my volunteer hours? Do you have a form that needs to be completed?
    We do not have a template or form to confirm volunteer hours. Some facilities provide a certificate of completion or time sheets signed by the supervising OTR. The hours could also be specified on the required recommendation letter from the supervising OTR. All documents need to be on the facility letterhead stationary with contact information for verification purposes.

    Note: Volunteer hours can also be completed at multiple sites but it is highly recommended to you have observed no less than 40 hours per site.

  3. Could volunteer/observation hours be in progress upon submission of the application?
    No. Volunteer hours need to be completed upon application, especially because you need a recommendation letter from the supervising OTR.


A Message on Student Fees
The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after fees are initially charged or initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees. All listed fees, other than mandatory systemwide fees, are subject to change without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by the Board of Trustees, the Chancellor, or the Presidents, as appropriate. Changes in mandatory systemwide fees will be made in accordance with the requirements of the Working Families Student Fee Transparency and Accountability Act (Sections 66028 - 66028.6 of the Education Code).