Internships College of Arts and Humanities FAQs

Q: How do I enroll in COM 496?

A: You will need a permission number to enroll in COM 496. In order to receive a permission number, you must contact the course instructor, Lisa Mastramico, at She will confirm you have met the prerequisites for the course and if you are eligible, she will give you a permission number to enroll.

Q: Do I need to secure an internship before I can enroll in COM 496?

A: You do not need to have an internship in order to enroll. However, it is strongly encouraged that you begin your search before the semester begins so that you do not fall behind in the class. There are resources to help you start your search early. The Career Center offers resume and cover letter help as well as Handshake, a database of internship and job opportunities. The course instructor, Lisa Mastramico, will hold early group advising sessions, which will be listed on the course Blackboard page and accessible once you enroll. You can also sign up for early advising by emailing Again, it is strongly encouraged that you begin your search early.

Q: When does the class meet?

A: COM 496 does not meet regularly. The majority of your time will be spent working in your internship for the required 120 hours. The required class sessions (a course orientation and short professional development series) will be available asynchronously on Blackboard.

Q: What kinds of internships are accepted/approved?

A: Your internship must align with your major and the coursework you have completed. For PR/Advertising Majors, for example, you might work with an established company helping with their events or strategic social media campaigns. Or you might work directly with a PR company and assist on their current projects. Journalism majors might work with a print publication, or in digital journalism with an established online sports publication. Film, Television and Media majors might intern in LA with a production company reading and evaluating scripts or get hands on experience working as a production assistant. These are just a few examples. The main thing to keep in mind is that it has to be related to your coursework and major.

Q; How many hours do I need to work for the three units?

A: Students must complete 120 hours of work at their internship by the end of the semester that they are enrolled.

Q: How do I find an internship?

A: Though finding an internship is the student’s responsibility, there are many resources to help. These include, but are not limited to, the Handshake database, websites such as or, and a list of previous internship placements that will be available on Blackboard for enrolled students. You can also set up an advising session any time by emailing Lisa Mastramico at

Q: I did an internship last semester but wasn't enrolled. Can I enroll now and get credit?

A: Your internship hours must be completed at the same time you are enrolled in COM 496. No retroactive credit can be issued. Additionally, no internship hours worked before your internship is approved by the COM 496 instructor can be counted. There are no exceptions.

Q: Can I get credit for a paid internship?

A: As long as it is a paid internship and not a staff or employee position, you can receive compensation and still earn academic units.

Q: Can I complete my internship over the summer?

A: Yes. You may enroll in a summer section of COM 496 and complete your internship. 

Q: Can I do an internship outside of the L.A. area?

A: Yes, as long as it is in the United States. Also, since the pandemic, many internships have remote options, which gives you the opportunity to intern with companies outside of the area without having to relocate.

Q: Can I repeat COM 496?

A: Typically, COM 496 is taken your final semester at CSUDH and is not repeated. There may be options if you wish to enroll for an additional semester for internship for credit. Email Lisa Mastramico at for more information.

Q: How are internships being handled during the pandemic?

A: Students have the option of doing a fully remote internship or an internship that requires some face-to-face or on-site work. Students should make this decision for themselves and are under no obligation to accept an internship that requires you to be there in person. If a student chooses an internship that requires some face-to-face or on-site work, there will be an additional document required in the internship approval process, which will be available on Blackboard.