Export Control

U.S laws regulate the distribution of strategically important technology, services, and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries.  Export regulations help to ensure national security and advance U.S. economic interests at home and abroad. 

Non-compliance with federal requirements can result in fines and other sanctions.  To adhere to federal export control regulations CSUDH requires its faculty, staff, and students to comply with the export control regulations of the U.S.

The U.S. government maintains two primary sets of export control regulations that may impact research conducted at CSUDH. The Export Administration Regulations (EAR) regulate exports of commercial items with potential military applications. These are also referred to as dual-use items. The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) regulate exports of items and services specifically designed for military applications.  The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) prohibits certain transactions with countries subject to boycotts, trade sanctions, and embargoes. 

The CSU Office of General Counsel Export Control Flowchart can be used to determine if export control regulations apply to you. Visual Compliance is the search tool that will enable you to search for restricted parties (both individuals and entities) and identify controlled goods.  To register for and use Visual Compliance go to https://www.visualcompliance.com/

The CSU Export Controls Manual is also an excellent resource to answer your export control questions. 

If you will be conducting research abroad, you need to consider export control issues that will likely impact your research and travel. Examples of activities impacted by export control regulations include:

  • Direct export of a controlled item;
  • Access and/or use of a controlled item by a foreign national;
  • Travel to a restricted country;
  • International and domestic collaborations;
  • Conversations involving controlled technology; and
  • Taking or shipping a controlled item out of the U.S., such as a laptop.
Licenses from the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. Department of Commerce may be required to export. 

If your research might be subject to export control or you have questions regarding export control compliance, contact the Office of Sponsored Research and Programs at srp@csudh.edu.